Spring is in full swing here in Australia! The days are getting warmer, things are growing in the garden again, and the beautiful smell of flowers is in the air. Which means BBQ’s and get togethers are right around the corner.
Growing up, Mum would make her version of potato salad which consisted of potatoes, boiled eggs and mayonnaise. Doesn’t sound very appealing to me these days but I loved it as a kid. My version is a little more complicated because of all the ingredients, but it’s far healthier and tastier in my opinion!
Everyone has their version of a potato salad, always involving potatoes, usually involving creamy dressing and sometimes gherkins, eggs and bacon. I like to hide as many veggies in mine as possible (like I do with everything)!
Don’t be fooled – this potato salad is not just a side dish. This dish is a star on it’s own. I mean, it can be a side dish if you want it to be. But I like to eat this on it’s own for lunch or dinner. And it’s great to take to a BBQ!
The garlic roasted potato really adds a depth of flavour to the salad.
- 8 cups/1.4kg/3lb roasting potato (I used Australian royal blue)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 Tbsp Grapeseed Oil or Olive Oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup red pepper/capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup brocoli stalk, finely chopped
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup spring onion, finely chopped
- ¼ – ½ cup dill pickles, finels chopped
- Combine potatoes, garlic (I smashed mine up with a pestle + mortar to make a paste), olive oil and salt. Spread on a baking tray and cook at 400°F/200°C for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop salad veggies and mix in a bowl.
- In a blender, combine all ingredients for mayonnaise dressing except parsley and blend on high (I use a Vitamix). Once blended, mix in the parsley.
- Mix mayonnaise and parsley mixture with the veggies, and then add the finished roasted potato.
Use the code ZIV994 at iHerb and get up to $10 off your first order.
Units converted with the Sous Chef iPhone app.
Cupcake yawning and meowing at the same time = the cutest sound you will ever hear.