Almond milk has become so popular over the last few years, which is amazing! I used to drink a soy milk latte every morning, but drinking all that soy milk really concerned me. I have since kicked my coffee habit, and Ash has switched from dairy milk to almond milk in his morning mocha. He still drinks the highly sweetened store bought version, but I think its a step in the right direction.
Almond milk is definitely a ‘staple’ recipe. I make about 3 batches of almond milk a week. I use it in cooking, baking and smoothies. I love pairing it with cacao for a decadent smoothie – recipe coming soon! I’ll be sharing some recipes in the future for using up the left over almond milk pulp.
Where do you buy raw & organic almonds?
Raw, organic almonds are best for this recipe. Almonds sold in the US, they are pasturised (heat treated), sometimes with harmful chemicals. These almonds here are raw and organic!
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup [url href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VQJT5A/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005VQJT5A&linkCode=as2&tag=vedge-20" target="_blank"]raw almonds[/url], <strong>soaked overnight</strong>
- Soak almonds overnight.
- Add almonds & water to a blender, and blend on high until completely smooth (I use a [url href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IMLJ4I/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B008IMLJ4I&linkCode=as2&tag=vedge-20" target="_blank"]Vitamix[/url]).
- Strain blended mixture with a [url href="https://www.etsy.com/transaction/130870037" target="_blank"]nut milk bag[/url] (or [url href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GLPPIU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000GLPPIU&linkCode=as2&tag=vedge-20" target="_blank"]cheesecloth[/url]) into a bowl or jar.
- <strong>Option 1:</strong> Strain by squeezing the mixture in the nut milk bag by hand until there is no more liquid left, just almond fibre.
- <strong>Option 2:</strong> Let your nut milk bag hang over a bowl somewhere in the kitchen for a few hours. Strain whats left by squeezing until theres no more liquid left, just fibre. I like this option because it takes less time and produces less foam.
Use the code ZIV994 at iHerb and get up to $10 off your first order.