Back when I was still at school, Ash and I lived off the ‘blue box’ mac n cheese. You know, the one that magically transforms from a powder into a delicious creamy and cheesy meal. I look at that mac n cheese now with nothing but suspicion. How do they make it into a powder?!? It’s funny how people don’t question that!
Well those days are long over, but I think this mac n’ cheese comes pretty close to the one I remember. And this one is made from vegetables, not powder! Nothing to feel guilty about here. I always try to sneak in as many veggies in a dish as I can, and this one is a perfect example!
- 9oz-12oz / 250g-350g [url href="http://www.iherb.com/andean-dream-quinoa-pasta-macaroni-8-oz-227-g/31548?rcode=ziv994" target="_blank"]gluten free macaroni pasta[/url]
- 2 Tbsp [url href="http://www.iherb.com/simply-organic-parsley-0-26-oz-7-g/31442?rcode=ziv994" target="_blank"]dried parsley flakes[/url] OR 1/4 cup fresh parley, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower OR white beans (eg. cannellini)
- 1 1/2 cups sweet potato, diced
- 1 cup [url href="http://www.iherb.com/frontier-natural-products-nutritional-yeast-mini-flakes-16-oz-453-g/30690?rcode=ziv994" target="_blank"]nutritional yeast[/url] (nooch)
- 3/4 cup [url href="http://thevedge.org/2012/09/homemade-almond-milk/"]almond milk[/url] OR no-chicken stock
- 1/4 cup [url href="http://www.iherb.com/bionaturae-organic-extra-virgin-olive-oil-25-4-fl-oz-750-ml/32044?rcode=ziv994" target="_blank"]extra virgin olive oil[/url]
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- 1 tsp [url href="http://www.iherb.com/celtic-sea-salt-fine-ground-vital-mineral-blend-1-lb-454-g/40557?rcode=ziv994" target="_blank"]salt[/url]
- 1 tsp [url href="http://www.iherb.com/simply-organic-onion-powder-3-0-oz-85-g/31435?rcode=ziv994" target="_blank"]onion powder[/url]
- 1 tsp [url href="http://www.iherb.com/frontier-natural-products-organic-whole-yellow-mustard-seed-16-oz-453-g/30948?rcode=ziv994" target="_blank"]yellow mustard seeds[/url]
- 1/2 tsp [url href="http://www.iherb.com/simply-organic-paprika-2-96-oz-84-g/31439?rcode=ziv994" target="_blank"]paprika[/url]
- Optional veggies: steamed broccoli, kale or peas
- In a medium pot and steamer bring water to a boil. Steam sweet potato and cauliflower until soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to packet directions. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, add everything except the pasta and parsley to a blender and blend until smooth (I use a [url href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IMLJ4I/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B008IMLJ4I&linkCode=as2&tag=vedge-20" target="_blank"]Vitamix[/url]).
- Combine cooked pasta, blender cheese sauce, and parsley in the pot or a large bowl.
Use the code ZIV994 at iHerb and get up to $10 off your first order.