You know how everyone says green smoothies are the best way to get all of your greens? Well, I am challenging them with kale chips. I smashed through this batch in under 20 minutes, and that was whole bunch of kale (Ash did manage go get a few kale chips before I smacked his hand away).
I have been making kale chips in the oven for over a year, but since I recently got a dehydrator I gotta tell you that oven kale chips just don’t compare. The oven method takes a lot more effort; the dehydrator you just pop them in and forget about it. The oven method doesn’t really get the same crispiness as the dehydrator. But you can definitely still make it work in the oven.
I do recommend drinking water when eating kale chips, as you can get pretty thirst since there is no water content in them anymore and you will probably eat them very, very fast.
This is raw food at its best.
- Prepare mesh dehydrator sheets or two lined baking sheets.
- Break kale into chip sized pieces into a large bowl - you don't want them too big. Dry kale chips as much as possible.
- Blend all other ingredients (except kale) in a Vitamix, adding water 1 Tbsp at a time as needed to get the mixture to blend.
- Pour the sauce into the bowl of kale pieces, and use your hands to massage the sauce into the kale.
- Arrange kale pieces onto the dehydrator or baking sheets.
- Dehydrate for 8 - 12 hours at 115°F.
- (This is the best oven method I have found.)
- Place both baking sheets in the oven at 75°C for an 30 minutes.
- Rotate trays and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven off, rotate trays and let them sit in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven back on to 75°C and bake for 20 minutes.
- If the kale is dry and crispy at this point, remove from oven.
- Repeat steps 4 & 5 until kale is dry and crispy.
This collection includes both of my e-books, with over 90 recipes between them. You'll never be standing in front of the fridge wondering what to make again!
All my must-have gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and plant-based recipes! Save $9 off individual prices!