I have a confession to make: I have blender shame.
I’ve had my Vitamix almost two years now, and I don’t think I’ve ever given the container a good clean. I use it at least 3 times a day, sometimes up to five times in a day – green smoothies, protein smoothies, nut cheeses, sauces. I have gotten plenty of use out of this thing. And it was definitely showing!
Every time I go to the health food shop and see their shiny new Vitamix containers, I want to buy a new one because of how disgusting mine is.
Take a look at the state of my Vitamix:
Oh, the horror!
I’m sorry you had to see that.
But don’t worry, I’ve got a solution to fix it.
This method is for cleaning a blender with grime on it, here are instructions for everyday cleaning.
- Fill blender container halfway with hot water and a drop of detergent. Blend on high for 1 minute. Rinse with warm water.
How to Clean Your Vitamix (And Make it New Again)
These instructions will likely work for any blender, although I haven’t tried it.
To wash the container:
- In your blender container, fill half way with hot water and add the following ingredients:
- Drop of detergent (I love Dr Bronners soap – lemon scented works great here)
- 2 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes
- Take the container over to the sink and remove the container lid (keep the liquid).
- Using a soft bristled brush, gently scrub the blender down, removing as much grime as you can. Scrub both lid parts. (If you don’t have a brush, you can do this step with a cloth)
- Using a soft cloth, scrub off the grime thats left. Clean all the nooks, the spout, the outside of the blender, the handle and the lid. Get off as much grime as you can.
- Empty the dirty water and wash with clean, warm water.
- Fill the blender halfway with hot water and a drop of detergent. Blend on high for 1 minute.
- Wash with hot water.
To wash the Vitamix base:
- Remove the rubber base that the Vitamix sits on. Under warm water, scrub with a soft brush, and then wipe over with a cloth. Leave to dry.
- Using a damp cloth, wipe over the whole Vitamix base, under where the rubber base was, the switches, the black base part. You can use a soft toothbrush to get into the nooks.
- Using a dry tea towel, wipe the base dry.
- Dry the rubber base and re-attach.
Marvel at your beautiful, new-looking, sparkling blender!
Then make a green smoothie and get it dirty again.
This collection includes both of my e-books, with over 90 recipes between them. You'll never be standing in front of the fridge wondering what to make again!
All my must-have gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and plant-based recipes! Save $19 off individual prices!