Since being diagnosed with celiac, I have been replacing all store bought, processed foods with home made versions. We used to go through a lot of taco sauce (have I mentioned our obsession with mexican food?). I don’t know about America, but here in Australia it comes in tiny bottles that are close to $4 each.
I feel so much better making home made, know its fresher, has no additives or sugar (check the bottle in your cupboard to see how much sugar yours has, you’ll be suprised), much cheaper and leaves no packaging waste. Check, check, check and check!
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- ⅓ cup green capsicum (about ½ of 1 small), finely diced
- ⅓ cup onion (about ½ of 1 small), finely diced
- 1 jalapeño (or another type of chili), seeded and finely diced
- 2 cups (1 x 14oz/400g can) diced tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chili
- ½ tsp cayenne
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan and sauté onion, capsicum and jalapeño for 5-10 minutes, until onion is translucent.
- Meanwhile, add all other ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth (I use a Vitamix).
- Add blended ingredients to saucepan with onion, capsicum and jalapeño and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Use the code ZIV994 at iHerb and save $5 (orders less than $40) or $10 (orders more than $40) off your first order!